[kaffe] Cannot run AWT on Kaffe

ronaldsloot ronaldsloot at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 05:03:01 PDT 2007

Hi,

I am actually getting the same problem as Kelvin when I run WidgetsDemo on
kaffe 1.1.8-pre on ARM:

> kaffe -Xkaffe-xlib-awt WidgetsDemo
java.lang.InternalError: Pointer class was not properly initialized

I am using the following config:
./configure --with-engine=intrp --with-kaffe-x-awt --disable-gconf-peer
--disable-gtk-peer

I build with gcc 4.1.1.

Riccardo, since you didn't get the problem, can you let us know what
configuration you used and what target platform ?

I build an x86 version too and that doesn't seem to have the problem.

I actually also got the same problems on a 1.1.7 version. Debugging it shows
something goes wrong when the first event dispatch thread is created and it
calls the function InheritableThreadLocal.newChildThread() in which it
executes Iterator keys = parentThread.locals.keySet.iterator(). Something
goes wrong in that iterator (parentThread != NULL).

Does anybody have any ideas, things I can try ?

When I add the -v option I get the following output leading upto the error
message:

[compressed]
java/awt/event/AWTEventListenerProxy.class(/usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/glibj.zip)
[compressed]
java/util/EventListenerProxy.class(/usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/glibj.zip)
[compressed]Loading
java/awt/event/AWTEventListener.class(/usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/kaffeawt.jar)
[compressed]
java/awt/EventDispatchThread.class(/usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/kaffeawt.jar)
[compressed]
java/lang/InheritableThreadLocal.class(/usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/glibj.zip)
[compressed]
[compressed]
[compressed]
gnu/java/util/WeakIdentityHashMap$WeakEntrySet$1.class(/usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/glibj.zip)
[compressed]
java.lang.InternalError: Pointer class was not properly initialized

Thanks
-- Ronald

PS:
kaffe -fullversion produces:
..
Engine: Interpreter   Version: 1.1.8-pre   Java Version: 1.4
Heap defaults: minimum size: 5 MB, maximum size: unlimited
Stack default size: 64 KB
Configuration/Compilation options:
  Compile date     : Tue Jun 5 11:10:24 SAST 2007
  Compile host     : debian
  Install prefix   : /usr/local/kaffe
  Thread system    : unix-pthreads
  Garbage Collector: kaffe-gc
  CC               : gcc
  CFLAGS           : -Wall -W -Wextra -fno-strict-aliasing
-fno-omit-frame-pointer -fsigned-char -pthread-g -O2
  LDFLAGS          :
  ChangeLog head   : 2007-05-26  Ito Kazumitsu  <kaz at maczuka.gcd.org>