kaffe + classpath 0.95 (Was: Re: kaffe 1.1.8 (Was: Re: [kaffe] Future directions for Kaffe))

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Jun 13 14:49:57 PDT 2007

Dalibor Topic wrote:

>>> I've got a local version of that building, using a slightly adapted
>>> classpath.m4 from Cacao and a local install of classpath. I'm working
>>> on making the regression tests build & work with classpath 0.93
>>> (closest to the version in our tree).
>>
>> Wprks now locally, as well, with two failing regression tests left
>> over to look at. Commit coming as soon as they are fixed.
>>

> It turned out that the two failing regressions have been fixed by Ito
> after my merge of GNU Classpath 0.93 into Kaffe in our copy of
> classpath, so I'll check in what I have.

This seems to work a bit better than I expected. I've just built
Classpath 0.95 separately, and then built Kaffe using it [1], and, other
than three failing regression tests (nothing really serious, just small
changes in expected test output), it works, and I can see the
WidgetsDemo, too, so I guess Swing/AWT works that way, too. The two
failing regression tests with 0.93 are fixed in 0.95, as per Ito's patches.

Unfortuntely, there is one VM Interface change that (I assume) makes it
hard to support both 0.93 and 0.95 (VMTimezone), so I think we should
stay with 0.93 for the 1.1.8 release, and kick out a 1.1.9 soon
afterwards. Meanwhile, it wouldn't hurt to get Kaffe added to
builder.classpath.org, now that it supports the 'separate classpath'
feature that JamVM & Cacao support. Mark, can you take care of that?

[1] ../kaffe/configure --prefix=/tmp/kaffe-cvs-with-classpath
--with-system-classpath --with-classpath-prefix=/tmp/classpath-0.95/
--with-ecj && make && make check