[kaffe] Server downtime

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Sun Aug 10 11:18:39 PDT 2008

> Jim Pick wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to take the server down to investigate a possible failed disk
>> in the software RAID.  I am hoping that it's just a Linux or Xen bug.
>> Also, I'd like to upgrade Xen to a more modern version if possible.
>>
>> I'm planning to take the server down in about 3 hours (around 2pm
>> Pacific Time).  Hopefully, it won't take me too long to investigate
>> and/or upgrade it.
>>
>> There is always the possibility that things won't go well with the
>> RAID or the upgrade.  I only have the one server online, so if I
>> encounter any big problems, please be patient as I try to figure out
>> the best way to recover.  Luckily, I do have recent backups.
>>
>> This will affect jimpick.com, kaffe.org, developer.classpath.org,
>> planet.classpath.org, and icedtea.classpath.org.
>>
>> While the server is down, my jimpick.com/kaffe.org email addresses
>> will not be working.  I can still be reached at my backup email
>> address at <jim.pick at gmail.com>.
>
> The server is back now.  If you see anything strange, send me an email.

I'm going to have take the server offline again for some extended downtime.

It seems that I'm having some difficulty rearranging the data on the
drives while all the Xen sessions are online (probably due to kernel
bugs).  I really need to do that, as running the software RAID in a
degraded state seems to be somewhat fragile.  There are some other
issues to address as well.

So I'm going to take the server offline so I can rebuild things in
single user mode.  I'm not sure how long it will take -- I'm guessing
that it may take between 10-20 hours.  Hopefully, I can get the VMs back
online for tomorrow.

Cheers,

  - Jim