[kaffe] cross-compile error

Kiyo Inaba inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp
Thu Feb 7 22:55:10 PST 2008

Wow, you did it by yourself...

Dalibor Topic wrote:
>>> My plan would be to look at making the interpreter pass on arm-oabi
>>> and arm-eabi without failures, and then
>>> to move on to the jits.

Yes, in general tackling interpreter version first is a good practice.
And in case of arm, it is better next to tackle jit1 rather than jit3,
since I still did not fix register allocation bug in jit3.

>>>I'd also like to see if I can rip out all the
>>> atomic* code in Kaffe's config dirs by using glib's
>>> atomic functions instead, as that would be less low level code from
>>> libc to keep around as copies in Kaffe.
>>>
>>> Any volunteers for the arm-* interpreter failures?
>> 3 failures on OABI, 5 on EABI, btw.
>
>I've looked a bit closer at the 3 ARM OABI errors, in particular at the
>errors in test/regression/DoubleConst.java . That test fails because we
>get the bitstreams of the doubles being tested when we call
>Double.doubleToLongbits with swapped words, i.e. instead of
>0x7fefffffffffffff we get 0xffffffff7fefffff.

Yes, I noticed this is the place why it goes wrong. And then, I just
simply leave it. Thanks to investigate why this problem happens.
Similar problem happens for m68k implementations, and my feeling is
doulbe support are not thoroughly tested except for ia32 arch :-<

Finally, I purchase ARM-9 based machines (mainly to debug NetBSD ports
of kaffe) and I will check again with real machine whether floating to
double conversion does not really work or not. If I noticed some differences
between real hardware and QEMU, we have to file bug for QEMU.

>Does that sound useful?

Yes, of course.

Kiyo