[kaffe] zzlib dependency when building kaffeh only

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Fri Feb 8 18:44:24 PST 2008

Robert Schuster wrote:
> Hi,
> is zziplib really needed if all I want to do is compile kaffeh? If not
> would I would welcome a way to skip this test.

Unfortunately, kaffeh needs to be able to read classes from JAR files
like glibj.zip in order to create corresponding headers.

There is a way out, of course: rewriting the remaining two dozen files
in libraries/clib/native to use JNI rather than KNI. Then we could do
away with kaffeh completely, and just use gjavah/javah/gcjh, etc.

If you want to give it a shot, I'd suggest starting with
java_lang_String.c (just one method there), and pushing the
corresponding generated header file in include/Makfile.am to the JNI
header generation. The rest should be rather, as well.