[kaffe] removing gc and threads convenience libraries

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sat Jan 19 12:19:46 PST 2008

With the gc-refs work from yesterday, it's possible now to remove the gc
  convenience library from the build (and I have a patch to do it
sitting on my disk).

But in order to work for boehm-gc, unix-pthreads need to be compiled
with some specific flags, so I'd like to do it in one go, too,
and eliminate the need for the build system to crawl in the
kaffe/kaffevm/system directories at all, making it all a bit faster.[1]

Since Automake does not like it when an object file with the same name
can be generated from two different paths, and we have two files with
the same name in unix-pthreads and unix-jthreads (and the other thread
implementations) I've looked at the signal.c and syscalls.c files.

We can purge the syscalls interface from the threading subsystem by
removing its last users, findInJar.c and jar.c. I'll use libzzlib to
replace those files, and then remove the syscalls.c code from threading
implementation.

Unifying the signal.c files across threading implementations also seems
quite easy, so that'll be next.

After that's done, I'll be able to eliminate the need to build the gc
and threading libraries separately as convenience libs, and move on to
eliminating the convenience libs used for the engines.

[1] Faster builds are better builds.