[kaffe] Compiling Kaffe on Arm for Windows Mobile

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Mon Mar 17 17:32:55 PDT 2008

Mario Latronico wrote:
> I work on cygwin and i'm using CeGCC, a cross-development tools for Windows CE
>
> Has anyone a suggestion on how to compile Kaffe for Arm / Windows Mobile 5.0 ?

the configuration is not supported yet. I've done some work to make GNU
Classpath build using CeGCC, but I haven't started working on a Kaffe
port yet.

> If this is a configuration not supported, do you think a porting will
> be too complex ?

Not really. Basically, you'd creare the config/arm/wince directory, copy
over some files from another arm port, and modify them according to the
porting guide to get Kaffe working.

In order to make the work more useable, I'd suggest using libffi, rather
then writing a Kaffe-specific system call method implementation. Libffi
itself does not have a CeGCC port, but there is a patch for libffi for
arm-wince by theller, see
  http://sourceware.org/ml/libffi-discuss/2008/msg00009.html for
details. It would require porting over from MSVC ARM assembler syntax to
CeGCC, but that shouldn't be too hard. Libffi comes with a nice little
test suite, so that you'd have a reasonable idea whether your ABI
implementation actually works, as you port the code over.

The other important parts are threads (you may be able to reuse the
threading implementation from Kaffe CE, suitably tweaked), and AWT, in
case you care about running graphical applications. A good source for
Windows CE AWT peers would be MySaifu, or PhoneME. Alternatively, if you
are in for a challenge, you could try making the Classpath Qt AWT peers
work, and then making them work on Windows CE using the Qt port to WinCE.