[kaffe] avr32 port

Guennadi Liakhovetski g.liakhovetski at gmx.de
Thu May 8 03:06:48 PDT 2008

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Nevo wrote:

> > Well, I'm not an expert in this, but I don't know if this really would make
> > any improvement. With hardware acceleration you "just" throw your bytecode
> > at the CPU and it processes it just as if it were native code. So, I don't
> > see how JIT could be useful here. Also, it is unlikely to make our work
> > easier, or would it? I'd go as simple as possible to start with.
> >
>   You mignt mean Jazelle like technology actually.

Yes, this is exactly what I mean by "hardware accelerated Java on AVR32"
and what Atmel calls "Java Extension Module (JEM)." The main difference
is, that JEM documentation is publically accessible, and Jazelle isn't.

> > I'll let you know when the board arrives.
> >
>   Thank you :) . Maybe I should find some emulator first :)

I haven't found any. Let me know if you have more luck.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.