What do you use Kaffe for?

Gary Howland gary at systemics.com
Tue Apr 8 10:08:46 PDT 1997

> Well while I was at JavaOne last week I got to thinking about what people
> did with Kaffe.  I have a few ideas from those I met there but wondered
> what other people were using it for.
>
> So, if you're using Kaffe for something fun and interesting I'd be really
> interested in hearing about it.  You can do this to me personally and
> I'll summaries the results, possibly putting them up on a web page.  If
> you want to tell me but don't want me to pass this info on then please say.
> Also, I WILL NOT SEND OUT JUNK EMAIL USING THIS INFORMATION !  Just so you
> know.

We're using it for development of the Cryptix crypto library, which with the
help of fellow developers will hopefully evolve into an all Java version of
PGP.  We should also have a kaffe PGP keyserver available in the near future.

We are also developing a Java http proxy to allow slot in "proxylets", to
allow "cookie cutting", web page decryption, encrypted proxying, and
automatic password generation (like the Janus system).

And then there's the big one - we are using kaffe in the development of
an electronic commerce suite of tools and applications, known as
Ricardo.  Although kaffe cannot at the moment be used for the graphical
trading programs, it is still used for compiling, and for many of
the development tools and servers.

We choose kaffe for many reasons.  Firstly, it is free.  Secondly, we
have the source.  We also like it because it works on FreeBSD.  And
the JIT performance is also very important.

Gary