Unix must have a stable, fast Java VM

Joaquin jm041536 at dasb.fhda.edu
Tue Apr 15 10:20:09 PDT 1997

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Nelson Minar wrote:

> But it's not enough. The JavaVM in the Sun JDK is really slow. Kaffe
> isn't quite ready for prime-time (it runs javac pretty well, but the
> marriage to AWT through biss-awt [4] is problematic now). Kaffe also
> seems considerably slower than the Microsoft VM. Toba is limited to
> compiled code and doesn't have any graphics support.

What is the situation with Biss-Awt?  Awt is very important for cross
platorm support especially for machines that commercial companies would
alienate.

Some Unix hackers may also want a OLIT version of AWT rather than a Motif
verion.  A native Xlib would be much faster than Motif.  Then some may
want ncurses version, too.

> If Java doesn't run well on Unix, then Java will itself be the nail
> that Microsoft hammers into Unix's coffin.

Also, what about DOS?  Java is important for DOS users and this could help
supplant Microsoft's wedge in the market.  Sun has announced a JavaPC
program, but they are going to charge a $100 per user.  I think this is
criminal especially in contrast to what Java represents.

I hope that Kaffe and other Java related projects do not alienate DOS
users.