Unix must have a stable, fast Java VM

Kohler Markus kohlerm at betze.bbn.hp.com
Tue Apr 15 23:38:42 PDT 1997

Joaquin wrote:
[...]
> Also, what about DOS?  Java is important for DOS users and this could help
> supplant Microsoft's wedge in the market.  Sun has announced a JavaPC
> program, but they are going to charge a $100 per user.  I think this is
> criminal especially in contrast to what Java represents.

Hmm If you only want to use the DOS PC for java I don't see why not
using Linux instead ?
Linux even has a good Dos Emulator running such killer applications like
Duke3d. This Dos Emulator may also improve in the future Because Caldera
owns the OpenDos sources. As far as I remember Caldera will make them
available for free for non commercial use.

But in fact Linux has a lot of advantages over every DOS operation
system available.

> I hope that Kaffe and other Java related projects do not alienate DOS
> users.

You can even Run Linux completly from DOS.

Markus

| Markus Kohler                          Hewlett-Packard
GmbH                |
| Software Engineer                      Network & System Management
Division|
|                                        IT/E Success
Team                   |