DOS should have a stable, pudly Java VM

Thomas Pfaff devjava at jps.net
Wed Apr 16 15:36:36 PDT 1997

I hope I toned down the subject title enough from the original.  :-)

DOS would be great tho' you'd have to add support for TCP/IP to make it
useful.  It'd be great to have a DOS-based java-ready device so that
virtually anyone could start pumping out embedded Java systems.  We could
attach Java.IO, Java.NET, Java.UTIL and others to it to standardize the
application codebases.  AWT could even be optionally available for use.

Granted AWT would introduce a big can of worms not because of graphics
support but more in the department of memory management.  Without AWT (i.e.
full-fledged window-based java apps) I'd imagine a lot of apps could be
pretty small.  Garbage collection could be optional depending on the role of
the applications.

Anyone game for a 20-bit 80x86 VM implementation?
I think it should probably not have anything do with Kaffe, personally.

I've seen TCP/IP stacks used in pure DOS environments, both gate-level
implementations and software implementations as well.
So what's holding us back?

Thomas