Merits of DOS

Joaquin jm041536 at dasb.fhda.edu
Thu Apr 17 11:45:51 PDT 1997

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Kohler Markus wrote:

> Joaquin wrote:
> >

> > Now it all depends on who runs Java and then who runs Java the best.  I do
> > not want Microsoft to dominate the world.  That is why it is so important
> > that Java is running fast on every possible OS ASAP.  Since DOS has DJGPP,
> > I hope guavac and kaffe as well as others can be ported to DOS.
> >

> Hmm, DJGPP may be really an option. Does is support multithreading, is
> there some kind of GUI framework for it ?

There is a multithreading libary in a seperate package.  I do not know how
good it is, but I think it needs some work.  There are a few GUI
frameworks available.  Some of them exists in both Linux and DOS.  One
framework (DOS only) has a NeXT Like interface.  I think there is one
built with it:
   ftp://ftp.cdrom/pub/garbo/garbo_pc/graphics/sea12c.zip
   http://www.stack.nl/~ralphg/

- Joaquin