Merits of DOS

Kohler Markus kohlerm at betze.bbn.hp.com
Wed Apr 16 23:33:31 PDT 1997

Joaquin wrote:

> I have no doubt that Linux is a superior system, but there are many
> schools that may not have the hardware to move to Linux with an emulated
> DOS environment.  Linux is also a lot more complicated than DOS whereas
> DOS has the simple config.sys and autexec.bat.  Some people may just want
> the basics.
>
> As for Java, the OS is unimportant.  When applications moves towards Java,
> the application market will not determine which OS reigns supreme (or
> terror).  For example, users could run DOS, Win '95, MacOS, Linux, AmigaOS
> Solaris, etc. and still run Corel Office for Java or other applications.

In some sense that's right, but if one OS is better than another OS the
user
may notice that because the applications run more stable, multitasking
works
better, performance is better and soon ...

> Now it all depends on who runs Java and then who runs Java the best.  I do
> not want Microsoft to dominate the world.  That is why it is so important
> that Java is running fast on every possible OS ASAP.  Since DOS has DJGPP,
> I hope guavac and kaffe as well as others can be ported to DOS.

Hmm, DJGPP may be really an option. Does is support multithreading, is
there
some kind of GUI framework for it ?

> Last note, Windows 3.1 and now Windows '95 are a natural migration path
> for DOS users.  Sunsoft hopes now that Java will be the migration path
> with their Java PC product (see press releases), but I'm not sure that
> will happen since they want to charge $100 for DOS users.

$100 is  a joke, if it's for the OS only. If it is with some usefull
applications it's probably ok.

> - joaquin
>
> PS - The Linux Berlin thing looks really cool.  Does anyone know how to
> implement Peers?  How can I find this out.

Markus

| Markus Kohler                          Hewlett-Packard
GmbH                |
| Software Engineer                      Network & System Management
Division|
|                                        IT/E Success
Team                   |