RMI on kaffe

Simon J. Gerraty sjg at quick.com.au
Thu Aug 7 06:45:29 PDT 1997

Michael Olan writes:
>Is it possible to to remote method invocations on kaffe? The Core
>Jave book says first one must set  up the bootstrap registry service
>using something like:

>java java.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl &

>but of course, we would sub. kaffe for java. However, I get a
>ClassNotFoundException.

>Anyone done this?

Yes and no.  Yes I've sorted out how to do rmi (thanks to Peter Van
der Linden).  That was with jdk1.1.3 on Solaris and I've tried it
using kaffe-0.9.1

The executive summary is:

It will not work until the java.net native lib is completed.

The rmi code calls java_net_PlainSocketImpl_socket{Get,Set}Option()
which in 0.9.1 simply call abort().

Calling abort() in these methods is a great way to find what is being
passed to them - which I assume is why Tim did that.

I was thinking of having a go at implementing those methods, but I'd
first need to do a lot more reading/investigation of how the native
stuff inter-works with java, and with my luck 0.9.2 would come out
with the lib completed - just after I've done it :-)

--sjg

--
Simon J. Gerraty        <sjg at quick.com.au>

#include <disclaimer>   /* imagine something _very_ witty here */