RMI on Kaffe

Jose Orlando Pereira jop at di.uminho.pt
Mon Aug 11 13:15:33 PDT 1997

Per Bothner wrote:
> The problem with Serialization is that I don't know if there is any
> public spec of the wire protocol used.  Sun will of course have to
> provide such a document before Java becomes an ISO standard, so I
> don't think here is anything secret here.  Still, I have not seen
> a specification yet.  Has anyone?

It is in the JDK-1.1 documentation. For the HTML version try
/guide/serialization/spec/protocol.doc.html under the documentation
tree. A grammar definition for the external representation
is included.

There is also a paper published by Usenix:
 R. Riggs, J. Waldo, A. Wollrath and K. Bharath. "Pickling State in the
 Java System", Usenix Computing Systems, Vol.9 no.4, Fall 1996, 291--312.

--
Jose Orlando Pereira
* jop at di.uminho.pt * http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/~jop *