kaffe on win3.1 (16bit)

Glynn Clements glynn at sensei.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 12:12:01 PDT 1997

Erland Lewin wrote:

> Magnus Y Alvestad asked:

> I believe Kaffe requires an atomic 64-bit integer type built into the
> compiler (long long or __int64 or something like that). My impression
> was that it would not be possible to compile it with a compiler not
> supporting this feature (for instance, replacing it with a struct of two
> 32-bit ints or so).

No. All that is required is that a thread switch be prevented from
occurring during updates to long or double variables which are
declared `volatile'

The Java language specification clearly states that operations on long
or double needn't be atomic unless the variable is declared volatile.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn at sensei.co.uk>