Kaffe and Native Threads

John D. Gwinner gwinner at northnet.org
Mon Dec 1 21:16:57 PST 1997

> Me too. BTW what loosening of license are you talking about?

I'm not sure, but the "JNI" I believe implies that you can bundle the VM
without a source license, but I'm not sure.  Actually, it says you can,
but the Java people were SO specific with me on this issue before, that
I'd like to check this more before saying "I don't need Kaffe".  As I
mentioned, even if I can distribute the Java VM with my app, I'd still
like to use Kaffe for all the reasons we hashed out a while ago.

> > Cygnus ...
> > I really wouldn't recommend this as a gut feeling.
>
> I wouldn't mind using Cygwin.dll but my problem is that
> I can not easily debug it. I would prefer to work with
> Dev Studio and MSVC 5.0 debugger when debugging Kaffe.
> That way I am confident I always know precisely what's
> going on.

Oh yes, I much agree.  I don't see anything wrong with the Cygnus .DLL,
it's just that layering Unix constructs on top of Win32 isn't necessarily
the best way to go; doing it 'native' would be better if we can.  However,
the Cygnus would be a much faster port.

I'll comment on the other parts tomorrow; I want to think about using the
Semaphores to schedule the threads.  The more I think about it, issues
like TLS (Thread Local Storage) and some synchronization issues might make
this harder than I initially thought.

		== John ==