Several patches for kaffe 0.8.1

Alexandre Oliva oliva at dcc.unicamp.br
Mon Feb 17 21:39:51 PST 1997

Hi there.

I've just succeeded installing kaffe 0.8.1 on several different
platforms, having had to apply the following patches:

1) use gcc for linking if gcc is available.  This is actually required
for alpha, where LDFLAGS contains -Wl, a flag for gcc to pass
arguments to the linker.  It also fixes a problem with configure: it
uses gcc to look for libraries, but then some platforms use ld
directly to perform linking.  If libraries are in a non-standard
directory that only gcc knows about, link fails.  I was unable to
build kaffe without this patch on alpha-dec-osf3.2 and
sparc-sun-sunos4.1.3.

2) in targets where no X_INCLUDES nor X_LIBRARIES are necessary, an
empty -I flag preceded -DKAFFE, preventing some files from compiling.
an empty -L would probably cause failure at link-time too, but I've
never got that far.  This patch was necessary for alpha-dec-osf3.2 and
mips-sgi-irix5.2

3) avoid warnings when Object is used in function prototypes before
struct _object is declared.  By the way, why was Object #defined, and
not typedef'ed like the others?

4,5,6) object was not declared (probably former typedef).
(alpha-specific)

Regards,

--
Alexandre Oliva