SV: Kaffe thread implementation

Thomas Graf graf at essi.fr
Fri Feb 21 01:12:33 PST 1997

Pontus Rydin wrote:

> Frank,
> I've made a port of kaffe 0.5.5 that uses Windowns/NT native OS threads.
> One of the major problems was the mutex/condvar code that needed a
> complete redesign in order to work with native threads. Furthermore, the
> GC (again, in 0.5.5) wasn't preemption safe at all. I solved this by
> using PARC-GC instead (mainly because the rest of my project depends on
> it).
>
> If you like to see the code, I would be happy to share it with you. Of
> course, since it's a Win32 port of 0.5.5, most of the code is useless to
> you, but you might find some of the basic design useful.

I am currently working on porting Kaffe (0.8.X) to Data General DG/UX, a
UNIX System V.4 derivate, using POSIX threads to take advantage of
multiprocessor systems. I am very interested in seeing your changes to
the
Kaffe system (and also the GC implementation, if this is possible).

Thank you.

Thomas Graf
DMS (Sophia Antipolis)
graf at essi.fr