Threads don't works in 0.9.0

Joel Crisp joelc at bristol.st.com
Mon Jun 2 03:48:50 PDT 1997

Hi

Glynn Clements (manoj at almaden.ibm.com) [ in reply to Terje Bergstrom: "Threads
don't work in 0.9.0"  ] wrote :

Hi,

>> I got the new kaffe distribution and noticed that Thread-package doesn't
>> work at all on my installation. For example, running DeadThread from the
>> kaffe distribution results in the following:
>>
>> java.lang.NullPointerException
>> at java/lang/Thread.init(line unknown, pc 0x80a3cda)
>> at java/lang/Thread.<init>(line unknown, pc 0x80a4d6f)
>> at btest.<init>(line unknown, pc 0x80d296d)
>> at DeadThread.main(18)

>This is happening because the currentThread function (in kaffe) is
>always returning NULL. I fixed it with the following change:
>Replace
>Hjava_lang_Thread* currentThread;
>on line 16 of packages/tjwassoc.co.uk/APIcore/lib/java.lang/Thread.c by
>extern Hjava_lang_Thread* currentThread;

>I think the fix is correct though I haven't yet checked it for
>side-effects.
>Manoj.

This fix does not appear to work for me. Looking at the definitions of
the types of currentThread in the vm core and in the package library they
seem to be different.

Does anyone have any futher information on this problem ?

(I'm using Jigsaw a5 to test.)

Joel
----
Joel Crisp. Software Engineer, | "Cynicism, sarcasm, psychosis"
SGS-Thomson Microelectronics,  |
1000 Aztec West,               | The opinions expressed herein are mine alone
Almondsbury, Bristol.          | and may not be those of my employer.

--
----