BISS Questions

apax at apax at
Thu Jun 12 15:52:30 PDT 1997

On  9 Jun, Paul Chapman wrote:
>   Hi,
>   I have a few questions concerning the BISS AWT running on Kaffe 0.8.4.
> These are to do with its compatibility with the regular AWT.
>   Firstly, whenever I try to do a getImage(), I get the following error:
> Failed to locate native function:
>         sun/awt/image/GifImageDecoder.parseImage(IIZI[B[B)Z
> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError
>         at sun/awt/image/GifImageDecoder.readImage(295)
>         at sun/awt/image/GifImageDecoder.produceImage(155)
>         at sun/awt/image/InputStreamImageSource.doFetch(214)
>         at sun/awt/image/
>   Does anybody know what this is?  This appears on both Intel and Alpha
> Linux.
>   Secondly, on my machine all the text in text fields is invisible!  I can
> type stuff in and the cursor moves along, and then I can select the unseen
> text.  I have a greyscale monitor, but I can't imagine how this would be a
> problem since the background for the text fields is white and any other
> colour would be darker than this.
>   Finally, (not to do with BISS) I have noticed that on Alpha Linux, in
> kaffe/kaffevm/thread.c, it seems to incorrectly select alarm() for MALARM,
> rather than setitimer().  I'm not sure about why, just yet.  This doesn't
> appear on Intel Linux.  Anyway, fixing that makes things a lot more
> useable :)  I guess this isn't really a question, but I was wondering if
> anyone could shed any light on this.  SETITIMER is #defined in config.h,
> which makes me wonder if other things aren't propagating correctly either.
>   Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!  I don't know if this mailing
> list is the right place to discuss this, but I'm not sure if the problems
> are related to BISS or to Kaffe.
> TIA,
> -Paul Chapman (pchapman at

Hi Paul

Me too, I tried to have Kaffe/Biss run on a LINUX/ALPHA.

I had the same problem, that the text in Textfields is invisible (white
characters on white background, or so).

I then put off the jit and surprise! it works fine. Still don't know
I was looking with some hacking in the code what is being done and
passed. I encountered, that in some call of native library routines,
the last parameter is not passed correctly. Had to give up then!

Hope that some others might have a look at this too.

Try to put off the JIT whit recompiling kaffe.



More information about the kaffe mailing list