pointers

lucid at secret.org lucid at secret.org
Thu Mar 13 16:48:33 PST 1997

>> Quoth Dr S.J. Zara on Thu, 13 March:
>>
>> : > Quoth lucid at secret.org on Wed, 12 March:
>> : > : I need cross platform, GUI, and networking... Java is the only
>>thing that
>> : > : really fits the bill right now.
>> : >
>> : > C/C++ with TK GUI and BSD socket network API runs everywhere.
>> : >
>> : No it doesn't!  What about the Endian problem?
>>
>> Byte order is only a problem when you bit-slam data or talk over a
>> wire, in which case ntohs et filia solve the problem.
>
>its a problem in all kinds of areas... image processing, binary data
>file handling etc.
>>
>> : Also, you would have to give out the source code.
>>
>> This is incorrect.
>
>How do you ship out portable compiled C/C++?
>>

>--
>--------------------------------------
>Dr Steve Zara
>IT Manager and Computing Tutor
>Department of Biochemistry
>Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine
>zarasj at ic.ac.uk
>-------------------------------------

more details... Its gotta run on a mac... and speed is important.

I have had some really bad experiences with Tk/tcl but
I have heard it is getting better... supposedly preformance
on PCs has really jumped. But the current mac versions
are deathly slow... afaik.

Since it needs to run on a mac I am really limited...
since the target market for my product runs about 50% mac
ie. web design houses.

thanks for the ideas though...

-bill