Kaffe-0.8.2 on NeXT m68k

Mark G. Mendel mgm at radical.is.com
Fri Mar 14 08:58:27 PST 1997

I've been banging on this trying to get it to run. I'm using the interp & have incremental GC turned off.

What I've discovered is that class Object's methods' code is being freed at the first gc().

Debugging my way down through walkObject(), I discovered the following.

WalkObject checks 4-byte aligned pointers.   The code field of struct _methods is not being checked due to alignment problem.   This is because of the preceding accessFlags field which is typedefed u2.

I don't understand how this code can work on any 32-bit architecture.  Apparently it does, though.

Comments?