Kaffe-0.8.2 on NeXT m68k

Tim Wilkinson tim at tjwassoc.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 15 06:46:45 PST 1997

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Mark G. Mendel wrote:

> I've been banging on this trying to get it to run. I'm using the interp &
> have incremental GC turned off.
>
> What I've discovered is that class Object's methods' code is being freed at
> the first gc().
>
> Debugging my way down through walkObject(), I discovered the following.
>
> WalkObject checks 4-byte aligned pointers.   The code field of struct
> _methods is not being checked due to alignment problem.   This is because
> of the preceding accessFlags field which is typedefed u2.
>
> I don't understand how this code can work on any 32-bit architecture.
> Apparently it does, though.

Mark,

Well most architecture align pointers on their natural boundary (32 bits)
but the m68k doesn't and hence your problem.  This has been sorted out
in the next release.

Tim

--
  Tim Wilkinson                         Tel/Fax: +44 181 440 0658
  T. J. Wilkinson & Associates,         Mobile:  +44 370 621006
  London, UK.                           Email:   tim at tjwassoc.demon.co.uk