Alternative classes.zip (was Re: JNI support?)

Per Bothner bothner at cygnus.com
Thu May 15 15:25:01 PDT 1997

> What kind of replacement it is going to be ?

Too early to say.

> Will it be just a rewrite of all classes in slightly different way (do not
> makes much sense to me )

Makes a lot of sense, because we cannot legally re-distribute
Sun's classes.zip.

> or library with similar functionality but
> different classes/method names etc. ?
> I mean if it will be fully compatible with sun's classes ?

Yes, as far as we can.  (Primarily, it is an issue of time.)

> If not what parts will be different (I think that at least java.lang.*
> should be the same) ?

There is something called "The Java Language Specification."
We have to implement that (suitably updated).

	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Solutions     bothner at cygnus.com     http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner