please disregard half my previous post

Roger Binns rogerb at x.co.uk
Fri May 16 02:13:14 PDT 1997

> Here's a really simple kludge which has been known to dramatically
> increase performance in similar situations: instead of allocating
> the structs individually, allocate them approximately a page at
> a time, maintaining your own free list of the things.  malloc()
> overhead (both time and space) is evil, so doing it less frequently
> is a big win.

The malloc package at ftp://g.oswego.edu/pub/misc/malloc.c is supposed
to do suballocations very well (I am told it is the same as the one
in Linux).  It also uses mmap() for mallocs over 1MB.

Roger
--
Roger Binns   rogerb at sco.com | The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
Software Architect           | the unreasonable one persists in trying to