kaffe-0.9.0 problem with fonts?

Jim Pick jim at jimpick.com
Tue May 20 11:59:03 PDT 1997

Uri Blumenthal wrote:
> Did not help me, alas. The message I'm getting is:
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at java/awt/Font.initializeFont(105)
>         at java/awt/Font.<init>(119)
>         at biss/PackageProperties.getFont(158)
>         at biss/awt/Awt.initFonts(318)
>         at biss/awt/Awt.<clinit>(153)

Same thing happens here.  I'm guessing that kaffe-0.9.0 is supplying the
biss.awt.kernel classes from kaffe-0.8.4 based on the biss-0.87 release.
I don't think that works since Sun's Java 1.1.1 AWT classes are different.

I attempted to rebuild the biss.awt.kernel classes to work with kaffe 0.9.0,
but the classes don't implement the new interfaces defined by Java 1.1.1.

So I think the solution is to sit and wait for a release of Biss-AWT that
supports Java 1.1.1 in the biss.awt.kernel classes.  (I do think the current
Biss-AWT non-kernel classes will work with the AWT in Sun's JDK if you use
the supplied BissPeers.java-1.1 class)

Hopefully, I understand the situation and I'm some help....

Cheers,

 - Jim