Sun JVM position

Patrick Logan patrickl at servio.gemstone.com
Thu Nov 13 08:12:00 PST 1997

 > An Infoworld article on 11/10 quoted Sun as saying "there is no
 > need for other JVMs. Theirs will be available on every OS soon."
 > This was in reply to why they were keeping the certification suite
 > from companies making their own JVMs...

To be fair, I believe this statement is addressing only those who
would otherwise be porting a *Sun* JVM to a platform simply because
Sun has ignored that platform in the past. I do not believe this is
addressing those who would be developing a competitive JVM or a JVM
for some specialty such as real time, orthogonal persistence, etc.

Patrick Logan                 mailto:patrickl at gemstone.com
Voice 503-533-3365            Fax   503-629-8556
Gemstone Systems, Inc         http://www.gemstone.com

There is no such thing as a free variable.