Working version of kaffe for BSDI 3.0?

TIOOYK gerry at van-as-05b01.direct.ca
Mon Oct 6 09:25:54 PDT 1997

On Sun, Oct 05, 1997 at 11:53:36AM -0700, Bryan Felix wrote:
: / >Hi folks! I'm trying to build kaffe v0.9.1 on a x86 machine running
: / >BSDI 3.0, but it won't build. After having changed the "global" to "globl"
: / >in the config/i386/trampolines.c file, I get the following linking error:
: / >
: / >If you reply to the mailing list, please also cc: henrik at netgate.net.
: / >
: / >Thanks,
: / >
: / >/Henrik
: / >
: /         I have done my best to get any version running on BSDI 3.0 and on
: / BSDI 2.1 and finally cut it off. Only so much time to spare on one project.
: / I decided this project is just to buggy and am waiting patiently for a
: / stable developement to be released.
: /         I did manage to get version 0.9.0 to the point that it would at
: / least just hang after I went through typing in the CLASSPATH by hand with
: / each execution. I was in touch with another user on this list that has
: / gotten an even older version to run on BSDI though he has to add the
: / CLASSPATH on to every execution as well.
: /         Sorry I can't be of much more help, but thought I would add my
: / experience for what it's worth.
: /

What's the problem? I use BSD/OS 2.1 and running kaffe -version I get:

# kaffe -version
Kaffe Virtual Machine
Copyright (c) 1997 T. J. Wilkinson & Associates, London, UK.
Engine: Just-in-time   Version: 0.91   Java Version: 1.1.2

I don't recall doing much to get things running, apart from the .globl
thing.

Mind you, there is so much that DOESN'T work past the tests that it's
not worth compiling right now : <

To be fair it's the graphic stuff that is pretty broken..  Perhaps
0.9.2 has a useable companion AWT library now??  Guess I'll find out
soon enough.

-g

--
Berbeee-a seys,
 Teke-a qooeeloodes in geen und gu tu a deescu reeght evey!