JavaLobby and JavaOS

Fletcher E Kittredge fkittred at gwi.net
Sat Oct 11 04:42:32 PDT 1997

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997 16:34:46 -0700 (PDT)  "James A. Hillyerd" wrote:
> There is some interest on the JavaLobby to write a JavaOS.  This would
> probably be based on the Mach microkernel, and perhaps some pieces of GNU
> Hurd.  The thought was that Kaffe would be embedded into this.  The
> working name seems to be 'Oz': as in the land where anything can happen.
>
> We could really use some C hackers, and some Kernel hackers.  Please join
> in the discussion, and you should also consider joining the Java Lobby,
> it's free!

As an ex-Mach and C hacker, let me say that there are real good
technical reasons that Mach and Hurd failed.  The micro-kernel
architecture is dog slow; adding Java to the mix is not going to speed
it up.

Before wasting good Java developer time on this, please have someone
you trust go back and read all the papers from the late 80's, early
90's which detail the significant performance problems with a
micro-kernel architecture...

regards,
fletcher