Frame.AddNotify()-Null Execption

Wael Abo El Saadat waels at softdynamics.com
Mon Sep 8 08:12:31 PDT 1997

I have installed Kaffe(0.91) and the required sun classes and biss as specified
in the documentation. The HelloWordApp runs OK. But when I try to run any
application that involves the awt, I get
java.lang.NullPointerException
at java/awt/Frame.addNotify()
at xxxxxxx.Supercedeconstructor
at xxxxxxx.<init>
at xxxxxxx.main()

I know that addNotify() calls the createFrame method  of this object's toolkit in order to create a FramePeer for this frame.
I have set the enviroment variables in /etc/profile  as specified in the ENVIROMENT file and have made a symbolic link libkaffe_awt.so to /usr/local/lib/libkaffe_bissawt.so .

What is kaffe trying to tell me ????

N.B. :   My  Platform is Linux 2.0.27 on a PC, was it a must to install
the static libraries ? using ./configure --enable-staticlib ! Is this really the
problem?