Core dump abort()

Bryan Mann bmann at whistle.com
Mon Aug 10 10:26:51 PDT 1998

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> Bryan Mann writes:
> > Ok, I have resolved my core dump abort() with a hint from Archie.
> >
> > Turns out that I mistakenly had DESTDIR set during configure.
> > This caused kaffe to be looking in a directory other than the
> > one specified with --prefix to find the jar files.  I still
> > haven't worked out why there was a difference between running
> > with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set vs not set under gdb.
>
> Just in case anybody is trying to figure out what he's talking about,
> the version of kaffe Bryan's using came from me, and includes a patch
> to support DESTDIR prefixing all installation target directories...
> Normally you wouldn't run into this problem.

Right, normally you wouldn't if you're on any system but FreeBSD.  I
repeat, I downloaded and built kaffe-snap circa Friday morning.
This release exhibited the core dump behavior which pushed me to
use Archie's more "up-to-date" version of kaffe which also exhibited
the same behavior.  After Archie stopped by to assist me with my
problem I 'fixed' my transvirtual snap's behavior by using the same
technique, the results of which I posted to the list.  From
what I can tell after a bit more digging this is an aritifact of
BSD /usr/share/*.mk files and their interaction with configure.

Bryan.