Success with current CVS on MIPS SGI Irix 6.3

Lee Iverson leei at ai.sri.com
Wed Aug 26 12:41:12 PDT 1998

In message <199808261802.LAA22896 at bubba.whistle.com> you write:

> Seems like it would make more sense to remove Klasses.jar from
> the repository altogther and have the nightly kaffe-snap script
> rebuild it from the sources.
>
> There are several similar but different states a source tree can
> be in, including:
>
>   1. Freshly checked out of the repository
>   2. Distribution-ready
>
> #1 should contain no derived files like Klasses.jar. #2 should only
> contain those derived files that are necessary (eg, Klasses.jar --
> a user needs kaffe in order to rebuild it -> chicken and egg problem)

Agreed.  But in the case of #1, the default 'make all' target *must*
update all of these dependent files, which is definitely not being
done now.

That said, I still think that Klasses.jar should be in the CVS
repository because of the impossibility of bootstrapping it without a
pre-existing Java compiler.