Success with current CVS on MIPS SGI Irix 6.3

Archie Cobbs archie at whistle.com
Wed Aug 26 11:02:43 PDT 1998

Godmar Back writes:
> > I'm doing much better with a rebuilt Kaffe.jar.  Why isn't the CVS one
> > being updated with libraries/javalib/**/*.java?
>
> No particular reason.  Tim has a script that rebuilds it every night
> from the cvs repos for the snapshot, but it doesn't replace the copy
> that's in CVS.  He said he'll add that, which is why I don't check
> every new version in.  I guess we should check in every change
> or at least check a version in periodically.

Seems like it would make more sense to remove Klasses.jar from
the repository altogther and have the nightly kaffe-snap script
rebuild it from the sources.

There are several similar but different states a source tree can
be in, including:

  1. Freshly checked out of the repository
  2. Distribution-ready

#1 should contain no derived files like Klasses.jar. #2 should only
contain those derived files that are necessary (eg, Klasses.jar --
a user needs kaffe in order to rebuild it -> chicken and egg problem)

-Archie