Kaffe and JavaSoft Compatibility

Robert S. Thau rst at ai.mit.edu
Mon Aug 10 15:15:15 PDT 1998

Luke Simon writes:
 > I realize that Kaffe has
 > been out for some time, and I am just a mere newbie to it, but what
 > is the stance on SUN compatibility?  As far as I can tell, Kaffe is
 > fully compatible with Javasoft JDK 1.1...

Not quite.  The current advertised target is the PersonalJava spec,
which includes most of JDK 1.1, but excludes such significant pieces
as JDBC (the java.sql package), RMI (java.rmi.*) and so forth.

Also, various methods which Sun has deprecated, but still supports,
are not supported at all in Kaffe.  (I *believe* this includes such
things as JDK 1.0 AWT event handling, and also a few thread methods
which are still fully supported in JDK 1.1 and only deprecated (by
Sun) in JDK 1.2).

rst