Problems with Kaffe

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Sat Aug 29 16:07:31 PDT 1998

 Hi Sami,

> I've got problems with Kaffe. I'd like to get some help. Is this a good
> place to ask? I haven't received any messages from the kaffe list since
> joining it a few days ago, so this list seems a little dead...

 make sure you're really on the list.  The list is usually pretty active,
including the last couple of days.  And yes, this is the place to post
questions.

 For now to this list, and also to kaffe-bugs at transvirtual.com

> Is Kaffe 0.1.0 still available somewhere? If 1.0 b1 isn't fixed soon,
> I'd like to downgrade to 0.1.0 because it worked better for me than the
> new version.

 I suspect the problems stem from the new libraries.
You have three choices:

a) If your problems lie in serialization etc., use Sun's java.io.*
   classes by unzipping the java/io/ directory and placing it in your
   classpath first.

b) Downgrade.  To downgrade, what you do is to checkout the last CVS
   version before 1.0b1.  Use this tag:   D98.07.13.06.00.00
   (I think "cvs checkout -D98.07.13.06.00.00 kaffe" should do the trick
   if your CVSROOT is set and you're logged in)

c) Fix the problems and submit your fixes!

	- Godmar