Add all jar in CLASSPATH

Archie Cobbs archie at whistle.com
Thu Dec 3 11:37:05 PST 1998

Godmar Back writes:
> > The following patch add all ZIP and JAR from KAFFE_CLASSDIR in
> > CLASSPATH.
>
>  Do we really want that?
> Also, do we want it to be oblivious to the ordering?
> I'd rather have only well-known files in my classpath, and then
> use scripts if I need more (like for HotJava etc.)
> But I'm open to suggestions.

This is my personal opinion -- I can't say what's best for "the world".

I have included a similar patch in my own version of kaffe for a long time.
The reason is simple: it allows you to take any JAR or ZIP file off the
net (eg, SableCC), dump it into /usr/local/share/kaffe, and have it work!
No fussing with CLASSPATH, etc. Totally analogous to putting something
into /usr/local/bin, etc.

As long as the kaffe script guarantees that Klasses.jar is always
put into CLASSPATH first, then then others can simply go in alphabetical
order.

So I like /usr/local/share/kaffe to be a generic "dumping ground" for
any random ZIP or JAR file I find.

This brings up another possibility.. suppose we define a new directory
/usr/local/share/kaffe/jars .. and treat it this same way instead of
/usr/local/share/kaffe. Then maybe by making this behavior more explicit,
it's more acceptable to "the world".

What do you guys think?

-Archie