Add all jar in CLASSPATH

Bryan Mann bmann at whistle.com
Thu Dec 3 14:42:22 PST 1998

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> Godmar Back writes:
> > > The following patch add all ZIP and JAR from KAFFE_CLASSDIR in
> > > CLASSPATH.
> >
> >  Do we really want that?
[deleted...]
> This is my personal opinion -- I can't say what's best for "the world".
>
> I have included a similar patch in my own version of kaffe for a long time.
> The reason is simple: it allows you to take any JAR or ZIP file off the
> net (eg, SableCC), dump it into /usr/local/share/kaffe, and have it work!
> No fussing with CLASSPATH, etc. Totally analogous to putting something
> into /usr/local/bin, etc.

Archie,

Here's what I think:

-  Have a 'site-wide' dumping ground that sysadmins or software installs
   manage, like /usr/local/share/kaffe/jars.  Anything dumped there
   gets automatically appended after processing the user's jars
   (see below).

-  Allow users the same benefit where I can have $HOME/kaffe/jars because
   as a lowly user I may not have the perms to dump jars into /usr/local...

Does this beg for a .kafferc?  Hmmm.

Bryan.