RMI support?

Tom Gall tom_gall at VNET.IBM.COM
Tue Dec 29 08:47:09 PST 1998

> Excerpts from Kaffe: 29-Dec-98 Re: RMI support? Christopher
> Smith at envise (1194*)

> Tom Gall wrote:
> >
> > Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> sun.io.* classes. I
> Perhaps there
> > > Maybe the same ByteConverter stuff that makes HotJava not 100%
> Pure
> > > Java :-(
> > It's more than that. Some of the implementation of RMI is native
> methods that
> > needto do some inspection of objects as well as pickling and the
> like. These
> > methods are not
> > hard to write but you've got to be pretty knowledgeable in the
> full RMI
> > interworkings
> > as well as the deep down details of objects inside of the JVM.
> > Sun has an RMI spec that has enough of the information in it one
> can figure it
> > all out.
> I'm pretty familiar with RMI, and I can't think of anything that
> requires native methods. The reflective API's gives you solid
> knowledge
> of any object, and the serialization API gives you 90% of what you
> need.
> Furthermore, my understanding of the various RMI.ZIP's that are
> out
> there for MS's VM are actually the same class files that sun was
> distributing.

Chris,

It's not RMI proper where the native methods come into play. It's the
serialization process as I remember. I've had to do this a couple of
years
ago on a JVM of mine that used the base JDK class files. Like Kaffe it
was a from the ground up implementation of java...

Like I said, if you have the specs on hand and you know the object model
of
the JVM it's not hard.  I seem to remember the biggest bug a boo was the
pickling and unpickling process.

Hakuna Matata!                           |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
import standard.disclaimer.*; ||||     '---''(_/--' (_/-'
Tom Gall - Java Guy           ____    "Where's the ka-boom? There was
IBM Rochester                \    /\   supposed to be an earth
(w) tom_gall at vnet.ibm.com     \__/_/   shattering ka-boom!"
(h) tgall at uswest.net         ------    -- Marvin Martian

"Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently.
The ones that change the world!"