jar.c

Per Bothner bothner at cygnus.com
Wed Jul 8 22:17:25 PDT 1998

> Cygnus does that pain-in-the-neck translation with text/binary files.

I don't believe this is something "Cygnus" does.  Rather, it is a very
mis-guided DOS/Windows-ism.  It seems that it is standard in DOS/Windows
C libraries to support the Unix open/read/write/close interface, but
of course they didn't really understand it.  They figured that since
C stdio supports text and binary files, with text being the default,
then open should also support both text and binary, with text being
the default.  Duh.  Can you say unclear on the concept?

Hence, our CygWin32 environment supports this brain-damanged "feature"
for compatibility with the rest of the DOS/Windows world, but please
don't blame it on us!  The easy and recommended way to deal with it
is simply define:

#ifndef O_BINARY
#define O_BINARY 0
#endif