Patches for Kaffe 1.0.b1

Alexandre Oliva oliva at dcc.unicamp.br
Tue Jul 14 20:56:26 PDT 1998

Godmar Back <gback at cs.utah.edu> writes:

> We will, however, put a patch in place that makes configure a bit
> smarter by making it look in places where things like libjpeg often
> reside, such as /usr/local.

But it won't find libjpeg in /n/image/jpeg/lib, libgmp in
/n/gnu/gmp/lib and libzlib in /n/pack/zlib/lib :-(

Setting CC="gcc -L..." causes it to emit a warning for every single
file it compiles without linking, and does not fix the problem,
because, on various platforms, Kaffe uses LD to link libraries,
instead of CC :-(

> BTW, the probable reason this hasn't caused problems at Transvirtual
> is that their main platform is Linux, and Linux's gcc apparently includes
> /usr/local/include|lib in its include/library path.

That's probably why I have already submitted this patch to Tim several
times and he ignored it :-(

>> I also agree that the script is the best place for setting CLASSPATH.

>  One possible drawback: would you still be able to simply type:
> "gdb kaffe" or "gdb Kaffe"?

It doesn't currently work, because LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set.  The
way I've done it myself is to have the script check whether an
environment variable is set, and, if it is, it calls gdb with the
proper set of arguments.  I'll send a patch with such an
implementation in a few minutes...

--
Alexandre Oliva
mailto:oliva at dcc.unicamp.br mailto:aoliva at acm.org