kaffe-1.0.b1 probs on Linux

Alexandre Oliva oliva at dcc.unicamp.br
Wed Jul 15 12:10:23 PDT 1998

Robert S Thau <rst at ai.mit.edu> writes:

> Note the "special exception", which specifically states that you do
> not have to distribute the OS's native libraries in any form with
> GPLed source.

> Unfortunately, the meaning of this clause is increasingly unclear, as
> it becomes increasingly difficult to define what constitutes being
> "normally distributed... with the major components... of the operating
> system".

Specially considering that Solaris 2.6 ships with Sun Java 1.1.?'s
classes.zip

>> > That's not RMS's opinion.

> Ummm... could you supply a citation?

It was in private discussion with RMS and Paul Fischer, the leader of
the GNU $classpath project, intended to be a portable (i.e., multi
JVM) implementation of the Java(TM) Core API(TM) (TM) :-).  Paul, can
you support this or just tell me I need to replace my memory chips?
:-)

> However, I've never seen him claim point-blank that the GPL bars
> anyone from linking GPLed code with a proprietary library *for private
> use*

I was also surprised, but his point was clear enough, if my memory is
still functioning well. :-)

--
Alexandre Oliva
mailto:oliva at dcc.unicamp.br mailto:aoliva at acm.org