kaffe-1.0.b1 probs on Linux

Simon J. Gerraty sjg at quick.com.au
Wed Jul 15 18:45:29 PDT 1998

That may well be rms's wish, but that does not make it law.
Its a while since I've read the GPL, but it has never given me the
impression that it restricted what I could do with GPL'd source
until the issue of redistribution arrises.

[Ok, I just went an re-read the GPL V2, it has _several_ statements which
clearly refute the claim above]

See the last para of section 0 and the last 3 paras of section 2.

Section 7 is also very clear, it covers the issue of conflicting obligations
(of any sort - thus including conflicting licenses in a derrived work),
and clearly states that if the conflicts cannot be resolved, then
the work may not be redistributed.  It does NOT say that you cannot
write/run etc the program.

--sjg