Help! Can't install kaffe in the Cygnus Win32 environment!

Stan Bailes sbailes at nc.com
Thu Jul 16 11:45:08 PDT 1998

Bernard Michael Hurley writes:

> Has anyone managed to install kaffe1.0.b1 in the Cygnus Win32 environment
> running under Win95? If I do what it says in the README file I get the
> message "configure: error: can not guess host type; you must supply one".
> If I try something like:
>
> 	./configure --prefix=c:/kaffe i386
>
> I get "configure: error: Configuration i386-none not supported". I can't
> get any joy using i386-win32, i386-cygnus, i386-win32-cygnus etc.

I found that with cygwin b19, the stuff in config.guess doesn't work,
and that the final case should be something like:

    i*86:CYGWIN32*:*:*)
	echo i386-unknown-win32/cygnus
	exit 0 ;;

Having got past that point, I have various compilation problems, though.
The first is related to the cygwin include file windows32/Sockets.h,
which doesn't work if included after sys/time.h because of redefinition
of 'struct timeval' (I fixed by putting '#ifndef _SYS_TIME_H_' around
the declaration in Sockets.h)

I'm now at a similar error compiling InetAddressImpl.c, and haven't had
time to go further....

Hope this helps,
Stan