Problems with Swing on Kaffe

Sean Chen zun at falconwing.com
Fri Jul 17 02:48:00 PDT 1998

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Peter C.Mehlitz wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, John A. Kassebaum wrote:
> >I compiled a class using the swing 1.0.2 libaries.  When I run it, and
> >also
> >when I run Sun's swing demos, I get the following error:
> >
> >    java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: java/awt/peer/LightweightPeer
> >
> >Any ideas?
>
> Indeed.. we don't have peers (there is no need for them - everything except of
> Windows are "lightweights"). But - since this is a internal implementation thing
> - I wonder how it is referenced by swing. Anyway, swing compatibility is on our
> list and we will look into this (in hope that there are no other java.awt
> implementation internals used by swing)

swing has to distinguish between lightweight components and "heavy"
components when drawing, and so one way of checking is to see if a
component's getPeer() returns a LightweightPeer.

Really ugly, but then that's AWT for you.  The dirty little secrets you
learn while trying to write a peer library!

. .. . Sean is writing a pure X-based AWT