Porting 1.0.b1 to hpux 10.10

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Thu Jul 23 19:47:18 PDT 1998

>   Hello World!
>     But got instead:
>   ./systems/unix-jthreads/internal.c:114: failed assertion `mainthread'

 This informative assertion failure means the jthread system
couldn't initialize.

This is presumably so because jthreadedFileDescriptor failed.
This could be the case because the FIOSSAIOSTAT ioctl failed.
I don't really know what that does, and it's hpux only, it's only
in there because I saw it in some other package that uses async IO
under HPUX.  Could be that it fails for tty fds, and is only needed
for sockets or files or something.  I don't know.  If you find out,
send mail.  The possible fix would be to not check the return code
of this particular ioctl.  (Also, you might want to add a "perror"
to see what's going on;  this needs to be done anyway.)

Btw, if you compile with "make EXTRA_CFLAGS=-DDEBUG", jthread.c will
keep the stdio fds synchronous, meaning that jthreadedFileDescriptor
is not called on them.  You should try that.  If you're debugging, but
need the fds to be asynchronous, give it -vmdebug ASYNCSTDIO.

I remember testing jthreads without Kaffe on some 9.x version of
HPUX, but not very thoroughly.

Hope that helps,

	- Godmar