Porting 1.0.b1 to hpux 10.10

evenh at pvv.ntnu.no evenh at pvv.ntnu.no
Sat Jul 25 05:31:14 PDT 1998

On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 08:47:18PM -0600, Godmar Back wrote:
> >   Hello World!
> >     But got instead:
> >   ./systems/unix-jthreads/internal.c:114: failed assertion `mainthread'
>
>  This informative assertion failure means the jthread system
> couldn't initialize.

That much I actually discovered on my own... :-) The question is why?
Which might be answered now...

> This is presumably so because jthreadedFileDescriptor failed.
> This could be the case because the FIOSSAIOSTAT ioctl failed.
> I don't really know what that does, and it's hpux only, it's only
> in there because I saw it in some other package that uses async IO
> under HPUX.  Could be that it fails for tty fds, and is only needed
> for sockets or files or something.  I don't know.  If you find out,
> send mail.  The possible fix would be to not check the return code
> of this particular ioctl.  (Also, you might want to add a "perror"
> to see what's going on;  this needs to be done anyway.)

I set out to find this one, and I've discovered that
jthreadedFileDescriptor is called twice and with different kind
of file descriptors. One is 'a typewriter' and the other 'socket'. At
least they appear different since they gives error on different places.

> Btw, if you compile with "make EXTRA_CFLAGS=-DDEBUG", jthread.c will
> keep the stdio fds synchronous, meaning that jthreadedFileDescriptor
> is not called on them.  You should try that.  If you're debugging, but
> need the fds to be asynchronous, give it -vmdebug ASYNCSTDIO.

I tried added the EXTRA_CFLAGS, and it do _still_ call the function.

> I remember testing jthreads without Kaffe on some 9.x version of
> HPUX, but not very thoroughly.

Did you ever get it out run?

Well, after applying the attached patch, it doesn't give the original
error message. Now it stops with the following error (which I thought
that I shouldn't have since I'm still using jthreads):

Hello World!
  But got instead:
/usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: sysdepCallMethod (code)  from ../kaffevm/libkaffevm.sl

Any ideas, anyone?

Regards,
Even Holen
--