Kaffe, Swing, and NetBeans...

Weyrich Computing Consulting weyrich at goodnet.com
Wed Jul 29 11:04:36 PDT 1998

You'll have to followup with the patent owner (whose name escapes me and
I am away from my reference shelf), but I seem to recall that there is an
exclusion which the owners are making for freeware.

Another workaround which may be possible if the gifs are small is to
make the gifs uncompressed -- the patent as I recall is only on the
compression algorithm.  Decompression is not covered, and I think that it
is possible to use the gif data structure  (which is not patented as I
recall) to store image data in an uncompressed state.

orville.