Kaffe, Swing, and NetBeans...

Peter C. Mehlitz peter at transvirtual.com
Wed Jul 29 09:20:07 PDT 1998

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Weyrich Computing Consulting wrote:
>You'll have to followup with the patent owner ..I seem to recall that there is
>an
 exclusion which the owners are making for freeware.

>Another workaround which may be possible if the gifs are small is to
>make the gifs uncompressed -- the patent as I recall is only on the
>compression algorithm.

Unfortunately, both seem to be not the Unisys point of view.. In addition,
using uncompressed Gifs isn't an option because we don't want to modify the
swing distribution. I hate legal affairs like this taking control over technical
issues.

-- Peter